The College of Hereditary Nobility of Hungary

Galicia and Lodomeria

The nucleus of historic Galicia is formed of three regions of western Ukraine: Lviv, Ternopil and Ivano-Frankivsk.

Lodomeria is the medieval Ruthenian principality, which was part of Halych-Volhynia in the 13th and 14th centuries. The name was always used together with Galicia, the Latin name for Halych.

From the 13th century, it was a Hungarian sergeant province, and from 1772, to 1918 Lodomeria was officially a part of the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria, in the Austrian Empire.

Tribal area

The region has a turbulent history. In Roman times the region was populated by various tribes of Celto-Germanic admixture, including Celtic-based tribes - like the Galice or "Gaulics" and Bolihinii or "Volhynians" - the Lugians and Cotini of Celtic, Vandals and Goths of Germanic origins (the Przeworsk and Puchov cultures). Several ethnographers consider the local boiko people part of the Celtic tribes. Beginning with the Wandering of the nations, the great migration coincident with the fall of the Roman Empire, various groups of nomadic people invaded the area:

2nd - 5th century: Scythians, Sarmatians (including Alans, Serbs, Croats, and others, who later became slavicized)

4th - 5th century: Huns

5th - 8th century: Avars

6th - 8th century: Various Slavs

6th - 9th century: Bulgars (later Slavicized), Pechenegs, Cumans, Hungarians

10th - 13th century: Karaites

13th - 18th century: Tatars and other Turco-Mongol peoples from Central Asia

Overall, Slavs (both West and East Slavs, including Lendians as well as Rusyns) came to saddle in the area once populated by Celtic-German population.
By 1352, when the principality was partitioned between the Polish Kingdom and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, most of Galicia belonged to the Polish Crown, where it still remained after the 1569 union between Poland and Lithuania. Upon the partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1772 the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria, or simply Galicia, became the largest, most populous, and northernmost province of the Austrian Empire, where it remained until the dissolution of Austria-Hungary at the end of World War I in 1918.

Member Login

Search by Surname

Coat of Arms

Contact